SONSAF is a non-governmental, non-political and non-profit seeking outfit that brings together non-state actors in Somaliland into one platform. The platform was formed pursuant to the Cotonou Agreement to provide a forum through which local non-state actors (NSAs) could participate in, and influence policy and decision-making processes at local, state, regional and international levels. It was established in 2008 with assistance from the European Union in joint collaboration with Saferworld. SONSAF brings together a wide range of non-state actors from across the districts and regions of Somaliland including non-governmental organizations, networks, umbrella organizations, community-based organisations, business associations, and different categories of professionals, such as universities, media associations, lawyers associations and health associations. The platform aims to strengthen non-state actors in Somaliland to engage in domestic and international policy dialogue and decision making to bring about a secure and peaceful future for the people of Somaliland. Key issues that the platform advocates on include development, good governance, democracy, peacebuilding and state-building, security & environmental protection. SONSAF has received technical and financial support from Saferworld through ongoing capacity building exercises aimed at improving SONSAF’s capacity to link their work to that of the international community.
A non-state actor is defined as groups and individuals, not acting as representatives of the government.
SONSAF envisions development cooperation, trade, domestic and international policy dialogue.
SONSAF’s mission is to facilitate the engagement of Somaliland non-state actors in consultations through improving the capacities of the non-state actor members to enable them to have space in all policy dialogue geared towards sustainable development in Somaliland.
- Pro-active and participatory approach to non-state actor engagement in policy dialogue
- Commitment and compassion to the needs of the Somaliland public
- Respect and excellence in Platform activities
- Integrity in all of SONSAF’s work and a vision for better engagement of non-state actors with relevant stakeholders
- Time management and efficiency in the delivery of SONSAF’s programs.
- Regular policy dialogue, advocacy, and awareness raising activities in place; the process of human transformation, rule of law, democratization activities, political party system and successive leadership are taking place.
- The NSA platform capacity strengthened in the areas of organizational management; financial accountability; planning; ICT; networking and representative structures.
- Effective networking, representation and coordination among all NSA stakeholders, non-state actors, and other institutions of concern have been established and put in place.
- NSAs initiated consultations with donors, government and communities on development strategies, community support programs, and policy dialogue.